There is something inside of me urging me to write this post. I’ve tried to back away from it a couple of times or figure out just the right way to say it. Instead, I’m just going to let what’s been on my mind spill out. It is by no means earth-shattering.
I’ve been thinking a lot about how we affect other people. As humans it’s nearly impossible for us not to see things through own filter of reality. I think most people want to feel “right” or “justified” in how they act or react–that’s pretty normal.
I’ve been looking at the idea of how our actions create who we are in other people’s minds. To a certain degree our actions are our legacy. The question is what kind of legacy do you want to leave people with? Here’s some of what I think is important:
- Kindness—-Of course you can be kind and helpful as a strategy to get something you want. However, isn’t it better just to be kind to people because they appreciate it and it’s how you want to be treated as well?
- Give ‘Em A Break—-You don’t always know the stress or hardship someone is facing. So maybe someone is rude or or short with you. How about giving them a break a time or two and then see what happens.
- Loyalty––It’s easy to be a loyal friend when things are smooth and easy. Can you be loyal when the rough winds are blowing? I think loyalty is so important.
- You Can Do It—-It’s so much more pleaseant to be around people with a positive attitude. Life throws us enough detours and closed roads that we don’t need negativity coming from our friends.
- Boundaries—-Knowing your boundaries and adjusting them as needed helps those around you find their boundaries too. Sometimes saying no is the greatest gift you can give yourself and others.
- Forgiveness/Compassion—-For ourselves and others. No one’s perfect. Our feelings and sensibilites get hurt. Forgiving ourselves and others so we can move forward is a big one.
- Interest in Others—-Life can’t just be about us. It’s so much more fun to take an interest in other people, what’s going on in their lives and what they’re doing.
So do I always embody these attributes that I think are important—-nah definitely not. Still, I can continue to strive for them. I do believe that we’re all doing the best we can given who we are in the moment.
The miraculous thing is that in every moment we can learn, change, and expand who we are.
The legacy I want to leave behind is one of kindness, enthusiasm, fun and imperfection. I know I’ve go the imperfection part down already!
What about you? What kind of legacy do you want to create for the people in your life?
Photo Credit: docentjoyce